Manager of Software Development
Backflow Solutions, Inc. (BSI) is looking for a Manager of Software Development who loves working with multi-disciplinary teams in a complex, business focused environment to manage the process, code, and development team that drives the evolution of our groundbreaking SaaS platform, BSI Online.
About Backflow Solutions, Inc.
We are a mid-sized family owned business working to protect the world’s supply of drinking water through the delivery of industry leading digital solutions and customer centric services focused on backflow prevention & cross-connection control. With our headquarters in Alsip, IL we support thousands of water purveyors across the US and Canada and their many millions of customers.
About the role
The Manager of Software Development is responsible for creating trust and rapport with everyone at BSI and across our partners, clients, and other stakeholders. The role requires a dynamic balance of technical experience, along with leadership ability. The Software Development Manager will set technical direction & development standards and lead a small team of developers in both their development work and career. They will be effective communicators across all levels of the organization and our partners and clients.
The ideal candidate will have experience in and a passion for building digital products and a proven track record of delivering business value through software. While no prior experience with municipal water supply or backflow prevention is expected, you will quickly become an expert in these areas and a passion for the business and its mission is critical for success.
This is a hands-on development position where you will be directly contributing to the code base while also providing career development, coaching, and performance management for your team. You will be working with a modern, high performance, real time SaaS platform written in PHP and Symfony and hosted in an elastic AWS environment.
The Ideal Candidate
- Empathetic to user, client, team and company needs
- Motivated by tough problems, both in and out of the code
- Has strong, favorable opinions about TDD and pairing/ensemble programming
- Has high standards for code quality
- Wants to more deeply learn their tools and tech stack
- Proud they don’t let things slip through the cracks
- Enjoys improving DX (developer experience, like UX for devs)
- Manages other developers with empathy
- Leads by example
- Has been part of a team that has successfully built several medium-to-large scale applications
- Have strong hands-on capability in PHP and working knowledge of client-side MVVM frameworks
- Working knowledge of a variety of languages and technologies
- You may have experience with:
○ Modernizing legacy applications
○ Web application system architecture & design
○ Directly managing small teams of developers
○ Cloud hosting concepts, though you don’t need to be an expert
Education and Experience Requirements:
- A degree in Computer Science is preferred. Other comparable training is acceptable.
- Senior level experience developing custom software.
Applicants must have the permanent right to work in the United States. This is a remote position with occasional travel (2-4 times per year) to client sites and the home office in Alsip, IL.
Compensation range is $130,000 – $150,000 based on experience and qualifications plus a comprehensive benefits package.
Apply here: https://highland.bamboohr.com/careers/95